I know, I know…don’t even tell me about the benefits of broccoli, grapefruit, and kale. Who, including myself, gets excited about eating more fresh vegetables? We all know the importance of fruits and veggies for there fiber, vitamin and mineral content but I realize how hard it is to push them on your family. Here are 5 super foods that have slipped under the radar, and I’m sure your family will be delighted to try them.
- Cocoa Beans. Yes you heard right. I just told you to increase your cocoa consumption. Why? They are high in catechins (antioxidants that improve heart health and control blood pressure) No wonder we buy Chocolate for our sweetheart on Valentines Day.How to eat them-choose an unsweetened organic cocoa powder, mix with hot water, skim milk, or soymilk. For more flavor try a sprinkle of cinnamon. Where can you find it? Health tree Hammonton
2.Grass Fed beef. Beef is a great diet food if it doesn’t contain antibiotics, steroids, and hormones. Buffalo burgers are also a good alternative for variety. Higher protein diets are associated with weight loss for a variety of reasons: Protein stimulates the metabolism; helps you feel full longer and help decrease the desire to overeat. Grass feed beef is high in omega-3 which give you multiple health benefits. Where to find it? Bagliani’s food market
- Green tea. This powerful slimming tool offers many health benefits. This natural antioxidant promotes heart health, aids in digestion, and regulates blood sugar and body temperature. It raises the metabolic rate and speeds fat oxidation, thus resulting in weight loss. The magic number is 5 cups a day for fat loss and 3 cups a day will lower your risk for breast by 50%. Just be sure to brew it yourself and avoid adding sugar or artificial sweeteners. Try the natural sweetener stevia. Where to find it? Any grocery store.
- Salsa. Lets hear it for Taco Tuesdays! Who knew that this spicy delight packed such a nutritious punch. Tomatoes provide and excellent source of vitamin c, lycopene, hot peppers provide capsaicin which helps fight bacterial infection and prevents heart disease, and improves digestion. Onions contain antibacterial antifungal properties, and can reduce inflammation in the body. Prevent disease; fight cancer and lover cholesterol by adding salsa to your favorite recipes. Try omelets, salads, or eat with whole-wheat baked pita chips. Since the fresh salsa is better for you I recommend Top Crop available at your local grocery store or Bagliani’s market.
- Almond butter. I invite you all to substitute your peanut butter with almond butter. The flavor and texture is far superior in my opinion. This high protein, high energy food is rich in monounsaturated fats and contains significant amounts of calcium, magnesium, fiber, folic acid, potassium, and vitamin e. It also contains beta-sitosterol, which may alleviate the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Where can I find it ? Any grocery or health food store.
- Maple Syrup. Wow won’t the kids love this one! This mineral rich sweetener provides calcium, magnesium, zinc and potassium. Now I am now suggesting loading up on the corn syrup versions for breakfast. 100% pure maple syrup can be added to your favorite baking recipes for an extra nutritional addition. Use ¾ cup of syrup for 1 cup of sugar. You can also use it as a topping for winter squash or yams for a sweet treat. Where to find it? Health Tree.Who said super foods had to be boring and bland? Try something new this week and see what you think. Need more information on super foods call Lori’s Wellness Loft for a FREE diet consult. 609-561-LORI